Welcome to our monthly cannabis market overview.
We look at five key metrics from the previous month to provide you with a pulse check on 10 legal cannabis markets. The quick read will present data on total sales, year-over-year growth, basket count, and more. You'll find a few shoutouts for brands & companies that achieved something noteworthy as well. We're starting with 10 markets for now, and are working hard to add more to the monthly overview throughout 2020.
- Total sales = the total amount of sales for the month.
- YoY sales growth = calculates the percentage change in total sales from the same month last year.
- Basket count = is the total amount of transactions for the month.
- Average basket = total revenue divided by the total number of transactions.
- Brand concentration = is the % of the market that the top 10 brands make up (in terms of sales dollars). EX: in CA in Dec 2019 the top 10 brands held 32% market share.
Let’s get into it…
The Alberta Market
While Alberta technically became legal back in October 2019, Edibles first hit the shelves of cannabis retailers in January 2020. The brand Foray, a brand held by Auxly, dominated the first month with two flavored chocolate squares capturing over 30% of sales within the category.